The mission of the Starfish Initiative, a nonprofit IRS 501(c) (3) agency located in Indianapolis, is to inspire, encourage and prepare promising, economically disadvantaged students for college and career success.
General Statement of Duties
The Starfish Match Specialist is responsible for overseeing high school student/adult mentor matches, and ensuring that healthy, productive and satisfying relationships develop between the student and their individual adult mentor. The Match Specialist must be an independent problem-solver, as much of the work will focus on helping solve relational and education-focused problems for students and their families. The position also requires strong communication skills, and knowledge of higher education is preferred. The Match Specialist will work with a dynamic program team that values new ideas, collaboration, and relentless effort – all focused on our mission. This position reports to the Chief Program Officer.
Starfish Initiative is a college access and readiness program serving economically disadvantaged high school students in Marion County, Indiana. We believe that mentoring is the key to improving the educational attainment and future of today’s youth. To that end, we match every student in the Starfish program with a college-educated, volunteer adult mentor whose job is to help walk their student into college.
Examples of Duties:
- Manage a team of 75 or more student/mentor matches;
- Contact matches bi-monthly and meet mentors face to face twice a year;
- Track and update match progress and supervision notes in tracking Salesforce;
- Work with students regarding college access and career planning;
- Work with other program staff (both paid and volunteer) to coordinate a best effort on behalf of each student;
- Maintain ongoing communication with community partners that offer services to matches;
- Provide support for special projects as needed;
- Lead and assist in other programmatic functions as required, such as mentor/scholar intake process, events and/or fundraisers, to support the program;
- Represent the agency in the community;
- Provide input to monthly newsletter and other promotional pieces;
- Provide reports as needed to Chief Program Officer and/or CEO;
- Support Development team with positive match stories; Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in social work, psychology, anthropology, education or youth development
- Extremely strong organizational, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Creativity and flexibility in assuming responsibilities is essential;
- Experience working in racially, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse urban communities preferred
- Experience in higher education a plus
- Spanish speaking/writing a plus
- Flexible work hours, some evenings and weekends required with offsetting paid time off for “extra” event time.
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes vacation, health benefits, life insurance and mileage allowance.
For more information, visit the Starfish Initiative website, www.starfishinitiative.org.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minorities and Women Encouraged To Apply
UPS Professional * Part-time Dockworker (Shift 6:00am-12:00pm)
UPS Freight is hiring individuals to work as Part-Time Dockworkers, a physical position that involves moving frieght into and out of trailers in a timely manner, by handling the frieght manually, or using a forklift or hand truck. Forklift experience is not required but preferred.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, and must be able to read, write and spek the English language; must be physically and mentally able to safely perform the essential job functions without obvious risk of injury to the employee or co-workers; must receive satisfactory results from a background check, conducted in accordance with applicable laws; and must pass a drug screening.
Dockworkers must be able to work variable shifts that may consist of day, nights, and or weekends, and overtime hours as required by the company.
APPLY ON COMPANY WEBSITE